Article – Fix it – SharePoint 2013 User Profile Synchronization Service cannot be started with SQL Server 2014
I wrote an article on configuring User Profile Service for SharePoint 2010 and I have been using/ following the same steps for so many implementations up until last week.
For those who have not read it before – http://www.sharepoint24x7.com/2011/01/09/configuring-user-profile-services-in-sharepoint-server-2010/
However, I installed a new environment for one of our client last week and tried to start the User Profile Synchronization Service using Manage services on server page in Central Administration web site and it did not work.
When I click Start link to start the User Profile Synchronization Service, it stays in “Starting” state for some time (actually little longer) and then goes back to “Stopped” state.
I executed all the following troubleshooting tasks and made sure that I tried all the possible solutions based on my experience and others experience:
- Adding Farm service account in to the Administrators group
- Deleting User Profile Services service application and recreating it
- Verify the password of Farm service account
- Clearing SharePoint Configuration Cache
- Changing the Log On As account for Forefront Identity Manager Service and Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Service
I did all these but no luck
I started investigating further and noticed following:
- I managed to successfully start/ configure User Profile Synchronization Service on 03 VMs with Windows Server 2012 R2, SharePoint Server 2013 with Service Pack 1 and SQL Server 2012 R2
- I failed to start/ configure User Profile Synchronization Service in 03 VMs with Windows Server 2012 R2, SharePoint Server 2013 with Service Pack 1 and SQL Server 2014
I downloaded and applied June 2015 Cumulative Update for SharePoint Server 2013.
Woooohhhhooooo…!!!! It worked…!!!
Based on my investigation, I believe that SQL Server 2014 is the culprit and applying June 2015 CU resolved the issue.